Saturday, July 14, 2012

My Absolute Favorite Bread Recipe



I've tried many ways to make breads but this is my favorite to make and to eat!  It definitely helps that its
1) nutritious
2) easy peasy
3) turns out perfect every time
4) doesn't require a bread machine!
5) Requires very few ingredients

In fact, I have the recipe memorized, and my 11yo whips up a loaf like its nobody's business.  I originally got it from Nourishing Treasures

Ingredients:
5 c. flour (any, I use unbleached unenriched white flour I get from my local food co-op!)
2 t. active yeast
2 t. sucanat (you can also use brown sugar)
1 t. sea salt
1 c. milk
1 c. hot water
2 T. olive oil

*note: Sucanat is simply dehydrated, fresh sugar can juice, I buy mine in bulk from Amazon!

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Add 3 cups flour, yeast, sucanat, salt, milk, and hot water to mixing bowl.
3) Stir.
4) Add remaining 2 c. flour (sometimes I have to add a little more to thicken it up, using my stand mixer w/ the dough hook, I consider it good when the dough has "cleaned up" the bowl)
5) Once its mixed thoroughly, add 2T. olive oil and mix in (this is great! It prevents from having to grease the pan and coats it perfectly for the crust of the bread)
6) The dough should slide right out of the bowl into your non-greased bread pan (I use my pampered chef stone bread pan :) )
7) Put pan in oven and then **turn OFF the oven** Set timer for 30 minutes.
8) At the end of 30 minutes, turn the oven back on at 350 and set the timer for 32 minutes.

Prep time: 5 minutes          Cook time: 62 minutes

DONE! Perfect everyday bread in roughly an hour!  I dare you to try it! And OH isn't it delicious!  My family LOVES it and groan over the thought of getting store bough bread.  A friend and I did the math, and even with primarily organic ingredients, this bread works out to be about $2/loaf! Not bad at all!! I love that its so simple and quick that even the busiest of moms can whip up a loaf a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment